The PressForward team is happy to announce the release of PressForward 5.0, which features a new statistics API that will provide specialized altmetrics data associated with the PressForward editorial workflow. This latest release also includes an opt-in feature for gathering diagnostics and a number of bug fixes and performance enhancements.
In PressForward 4.2 and 4.3 we introduced integration with the WordPress RESTful API and PressForward specific endpoints for feeds and feed items. 5.0 rolls out three new endpoints that include metrics about a PressForward site and its posts. The first, pf_posted, includes data on every PressForward post that has been published. Included are metrics for each post such as a word and sentence count, a flesch-kincaid score, and a list of users who nominated the item. The second endpoint, overview, includes a count of all published posts, nominations, and items in a PressForward site. Lastly, the authors endpoint contains statistics about the authors of PressForward published posts. While most of these statistics are contained in the API response, a beta-version user interface now exists within the PressForward tools panel.
Lastly, PressForward 5.0 changes the way item ID’s are generated. This change helps to prevent items that appear in all content and are then nominated via the bookmarklet from appearing as duplicate nominations. While this change will allow for a more consistent user experience, it is possible that users will experience duplications in all content, and nominations that have or did derive from all content items created under the previous ID scheme, for a short period. Duplication of items will likely occur until new items are retrieved and existing items are deleted but this will not affect functionality of the plugin.
To see a list of all the commits and changes in version 5.0, check out our GitHub milestone.
- Fixed a bug that caused archived posts to be hidden due to pagination.
- Fix a bug that prevented the bookmarklet from increasing the nomination count on nominated posts.
- Fixed multiple bugs with the nomination counting process.
- Functionality of the tabs in Tools restored.
- OPML files no longer include empty outline elements.
- When a feed’s url is updated the preview of the url in Subscribed Feeds now reflects the updated url rather than the GUID.
- New endpoints with statistics about PressForward posts.
- The wp-json/pf/v1/stats/general endpoint includes general data about the PressForward installation including a count of all published PF posts, a count of all nominations, and a count of all the items.
- The wp-json/pf/v1/stats/pf_posted endpoint includes data on every PressForward post that has been published. Included are metrics for each post such as a word and sentence count, a flesch-kincaid score, and a list of users who nominated the item
- The wp-json/pf/v1/stats/authors endpoint includes statistics about the authors of PressForward published posts.
- Stats tab in the Tools panel now displays a count of each author published and the number of published posts per feed.
- New feature prompts users to opt-in or out to allow PressForward to collect non-sensitive diagnostic data about usage.
- Changes to how an item ID is generated to prevent duplication when a post is nominated via All Content and the Bookmarklet.